Skip to main content

Makey Makey :A MAKER's Tool for all Ages


What is Makey Makey? Makey Makey is a board that is connected to your computer that allows you to turn everyday objects into a keyboard. You can also learn to CODE with Makey Makey using the Scratch platform.


I saw Makey Makey in action on various websites, and knew it was something I really wanted to try out. I was visiting the local Barnes & Noble bookstore and saw it there. After saving for it I then went back and got it! I am very pleased and happy with this purchase. I believe it was $49.99. The joy of being able to see kids create with this will make this investment priceless. 

Before opening the package I perused the Makey Makey website and saw a Gallery of inspiration from other Makey Makers that had shared their inventions. After 20 minutes I was ready to give it a go. I had bananas on hand, because I already knew I wanted to try out the first project that the creators of Makey Makey used as an example to get you started. 

                                                                                                                                                            


That's me playing the Banana Drum. I couldn't believe how easy this was to get going. Inspirations abounds! There are apps for various projects available on their website too. You don't need an app, remember your Makey Makey is your keyboard.




I was so tickled when I heard I had made my banana play piano keys.



I was taken back.... I was like what would I have been if they had this when I was kid?! 😏  I decided to make a Game Controller for my favorite childhood video game PacMan. Say "hi" to Inky, Blink, Pinky, and Sue! I made my board big enough that perhaps it can be used as a demonstration board for the kiddos as well. I had so much fun! How much time you have is all up to you. It took me about an hour to make my Game Controller Board.  



Here is a video demonstrating my new video game controller. I felt so accomplished, and creative when I successfully completed this. That is the same goal I have for the kiddos who visit the Studio, that they feel accomplished and creative by the work that they have done. 


I made a drawstring bag to keep this tech tool in. The Makey Makey comes with the board, the USB cable, alligator clips, and jumper wires. All I had to do was add some conductive materials for the kiddos to test out. In the ziplock bag is, a ball of playdoh, a ball of clay, paper, and aluminum foil. The Kiddos will want to go on a scavenger hunt in the Studio to discover what other materials may work well to make a keyboard with Makey Makey.


The possibilities are endless with this tech tool, and we are happy to have it in the Studio!


-The Geeky Nanny

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do's and Don'ts of Operating a Licensed Home Childcare

It has been a busy Summer! How has Summer been for you?  I wear a lot of hats, and I recently accepted another hat to wear as a Childcare Consultant!  It. Has. Been. Amazing.  Wow! I am so excited and I just can't hide it!!  💚 Here's a little secret though... a part of me feels that I already have been doing this, but the official title just makes it so freaking awesome!                                                                              As a Childcare Consultant I get invited by owners to visit their licensed childcare programs. Last week I visited two licensed family daycare homes. I loved every minute I spent at their daycare!   Both childcare homes have been operating less than a year, and want some guidance on how to separate their business from their personal lives. When it come to operating a licensed family childcare there are some must things you should do and definitely some things you don't want to do, particularly if you are operating

Upcoming Programs and July Happenings

We have been planning away, but planning does no good if the people you are planning for have no idea that you have plans. You might of heard me allude to these programs over the past year.... #MilkAndCookies, #BabysittingClasses, and #CreateAndLearn. Well it's time to officially get the party started!! So, go ahead and grab your calendar because these dates your family will not want to miss.                                                                                    Each program represents one of the core values of The Geeked Out Nanny Agency. We believe that a child's play is their work (Milk and Cookies) . We believe that all childcare should be quality childcare (Babysitting Certification and Badge Classes) , and we believe that children should engage in experiences that cultivate a growth mindset ( Create 'N Learn Labs) .                                                                                                                               

We Found Our Nanny! Now What?

Congratulations on finding the best nanny to match your family's needs, that was no small feat! Your almost at the finish line for completing the hiring process, there are just a few more steps you need to take to make this new relationship a success for all. I know everyone is eager to begin the bonding process between the nanny and the children, which is definitely something worth looking forward to, but we have to make sure that our business relationship with our nanny is rock solid too.                                                                                                                         One of the first steps you can take after you have found your nanny that will foster respect, accountability and a positive relationship between you and the nanny is to create a Family Nanny Handbook . This handbook can be used as a guide, and will help to prevent any future misunderstandings. Include the nanny's job responsibilities and expectations, your parentin